The McElhinney House is one of the oldest buildings in Fairfield. On January 15, 1846 Robert McElhinney purchased lots for $30 from the city on which he planned to build his family home. The house was designed and constructed by a carpenter, John Lind, with the help of his three sons.
They used native lumber cut from the Skunk River bank and hauled to town in horse-drawn wagons, where it was carefully hand-hewn. Construction began in 1846 and was completed in 1851.